Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Sexism: Forever 21, you’ve failed me. (Updated)

Disclaimer: This is an opinion post. If you don't agree with my opinion, that's awesome. No, really; I think it's awesome when people challenge my beliefs, and I invite you to. I only ask that you keep an open mind. I try my hardest to always be civil and respectful when dealing with the opinions and beliefs of others, and I like to think that others will mirror that courtesy.


There are several disappointing stereotypes in society today. One of the most disappointing stereotypes I encounter in my daily life is the problem society has with math-brained girls. It's generally expected that women are supposed to be interested in the humanities, while men are supposed to thrive in STEM (science, technology, engineering, mathematics) fields.
I don't believe this is a conscious "problem" with females who are good at math; I do believe that we, as a collective society, automatically assume that females are not as mathematically competent as males are.

I went shopping at Forever 21 on Sunday, and I saw the shirt pictured above. I turned red and almost walked out of the store on the spot; I was really upset. There's something about it that just doesn't feel right to me.

Why isn't there a shirt like this for men? Why isn't there a shirt for females that declares an allergy to English class? What could possess a young woman to proudly declare her mathematical incompetency in the name of fashion?

Since when is it considered cute to be "allergic" to mathematics?

I don't think this is a tasteful shirt design. I don't think we, as a society, should be letting women give into the stereotype that they'll never be any good at math. I don't think we, as a society, should allow anyone to write off their academic failures as "allergies." Some people aren't good at math, and that's okay - I just don't think it's tasteful to create a shirt that loudly and proudly proclaims that the woman wearing it isn't "mathy."

Ladies, please; don't sell yourself short. You have so much more to be proud of than the fact that you don't like math.

To all the mathy girls out there: I promise, they'll understand us someday.

UPDATE: 9/13
It seems that Forever 21 has pulled this "Allergic to Algebra" shirt. Awesome!

Related: 'I'm too pretty to do homework so my brother has to do  it for me' on TODAYMoms

1 comment:

  1. My opinion is that I like that shirt since im not good at math and i don't really like it. But we all have different opinions. :) please follow my blog thanks girl

    ReplyDelete